Monday, April 23, 2012

When No One is Watching

I came through my junk food withdrawals like a champ and I feel great. This weekend felt so much better than last. I have found a new sense of self control that I never had before. 

I was strict with myself over the first week because I felt like any little thing could throw me off and send me spiraling down into an abyss of brownies and chocolate chip cookies. I can safely say that I feel comfortable enough now and have regained enough control over my eating to allow myself a once weekly cheat. I mean you didn't expect me to give up chocolate forever did you? A life without chocolate is no life at all... even if only occasionally!

On Friday I went to TCBY Treats. (
Western Avenue
just past Stuyvesant Plaza
 I encourage you all to go... its AWESOME! Although I went a little crazy at the toppings buffet, I still think I did alright! Before I started this program I probably would have filled that cup to the top, added all types of chocolate deliciousness and devoured it as though it were the last cup of frozen yogurt on the planet... I left feeling pretty good about myself!

All of these happy and new feelings of control, determination and commitment made me wonder why I couldn’t stay on track on any of the other programs I have tried. All of my friends used to pat me on the back when I would diet because in front of them I would only eat skimpy salads, rice cakes, low fat yogurts and those awful jenny meals. No one ever understood why I never ACTUALLY lost any weight. But, I knew that it was because of what I was doing when no one was watching.

Sneaking junk food, pretending I had completed my workout when I had really only done 1/4 of it, covering my skimpy salads in creamy Caesar dressing, eating steamed vegetables at the dinner table but Ben and Jerry's in my room afterwards... 

 It is so easy to say you are doing the work, pretend you are following the plan and make everyone else proud of you. It makes you feel good when the people around you commend you for changing and getting healthier.  The real change only comes when you stop pretending and when you start to realize that it isn't about what everyone else thinks, its about what you think, and what you are going to feel when once again you have to start over and try something different because you cant pretend anymore. 

This time around things are different. This weekend at the times when I was alone, I could have stuck yet another pop tart in the toaster, or polished off those girl scout cookies that I visit in my pantry from time to time but I didn’t. I did the right thing... while no one was watching.

I went to the movies with my nephew on Sunday and I could have had a little over priced popcorn covered in butter and I know he wouldn't have ratted me out but I didn’t, I drank my bottle of water instead... while no one was watching

And lastly, when I came in to work to check on things on Sunday evening, I could have sat around for an hour and watched TV or surfed the web... but I ran on the treadmill and did my workout (provided by the always awesome Bryan Nunziato) for 45 minutes... while no one was watching.

And that's why this time it’s going to be different.

Very truly yours,
Emmy
The seriously committed, no games, all or nothing, In it to win it "Fitness Fatty"

P.S.  Here is a great recipe for a healthy snack ... for all of you that hate protein bars- try this instead. Thanks to Sue from Synergy for bringing these in for all of us to try!


Protien Bar Recipe

Preheat oven to 350. Line an 8” square pan with wax paper.

2 cups old fashion oats (not instant)
½ cup coarsely chopped raw almonds
2/3 cup natural peanut butter
½ cup honey
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup rice krispies cereal
1/3 cup chopped dried fruit (cherries, craisins, raisins)
½ tsp salt

Combine oats and almonds on a baking sheet and roast in the oven for 10 minutes.

Combine peanut butter, honey and vanilla in a saucepan and heat over medium heat until all three are melted together.

In a large bowl, mix rice krispies, dried fruit, salt, toasted oats and almonds until combined.  Pour peanut butter mixture over the ingredients in the mixing bowl and toss until all items are coated with the peanut butter mixture.

Place the mixture into the 8” square pan and press down firmly until even.  Let cool for at least 2 hours. Cut into bars.

 Enjoy!


2 comments:

  1. Wow!! Great job! Your really doing it,and we are so proud of you! I love that you admit what so many of us hide...... and all while no ones looking. Love it! You inspire me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really your doing an amazing job!! If you keep up this great attitude towards it your going to reach your goal quick and continue on for even better things!! You mighthave to come to bk more to help me soon :) so proud of you!! And look forward to seeing the new you!

    ReplyDelete